Sunday, June 01, 2014

Uke Club, Fri May 30, 2014


Yay, I was able to participate in the uke club meeting this week!

You've heard about Project Ukulele Gangsterism, right?  It was fun for our group, to be back in the lessons waiting area -- to me it always feels like a step towards the flash mob uke events we've discussed aspiring to...  As a benefit, customers seem to like overhearing the fun and music, or so my co-workers frequently tell me, and someone shopping even told me it sounded nice!  Maybe, since I'd approached him, he was just trying to tell me very kindly that he didn't need my help on the shop floor, ha.

Songlist:
End of The Line
Ain't She Sweet
Brown Eyed Girl (chosen by a new attendee from Waterloo)
Margaritaville
What Colour Are You
Me & Julio
Wagon Wheel
These Boots
Tennessee Waltz (for sure we did this one twice)
Imagine
Stuck In The Middle With You
Ruby Tuesday
Lion Sleeps Tonite

I like how we are learning to build in instrumentals, for those with the experience or talent to offer intros and solos and such.  And, I like that we are working on our endings to tunes, so that they each have or get an ending!  Such a collaborative, constructive club we have become.  Meanwhile, I am also relieved to report that the focus on the future of the club I founded seems pretty positive! I guess its all in the delivery?  As discussed last week, one series of events is expected to start up in a private home on Sunday evenings.  I also got a nice chance, when Gayle passed through, to mention her class.  One person took a poster home!  Here's the ad, in case you know someone who might be interested.

Here's some more random uke inspiration to share:
1. ukulelemovement.com/101-reasons to play
2. “People go off in their own little groups and have their own little ukulele circles,” said Shaw. “People are playing music again. You’d think, with all this technology, they’d be sitting in front of screens. But they’re not. They’re connecting through music again.” - See more at: http://www.vancourier.com/news/ukulele-circle-strikes-chord-with-beginners-and-pros-

No comments: